Going through a divorce in the Bay Area is not usually an easy process. There is a reason that the marriage is ending and it is not generally because the couple still gets along with each other. Emotions can run high during the process. Despite the emotional nature of divorce, couples still need to make very important decisions for their new separate lives.
Couples going through a divorce have a different options for resolving the issues during the divorce. Couples can discuss the issues among themselves and reach agreements on their own. If this is not a possibility and they cannot reach agreements, the couple will ultimately need to have a trial and have a judge make the decisions for them. However, even if the couple cannot reach agreements on their own, it does not mean that they need to go to trial. Couples may be able to use mediation to help them reach agreements.
Benefits of divorce mediation
Using mediation instead of litigation can be beneficial for the couple. Some of the benefits include, but are not limited to:
- It is generally less costly than going through litigation
- It can create less stress and is not be as time consuming
- It allows the couple to control the outcome, which they are not able to do if a judge is making the decisions at trial
- It can protect children from contentious litigation and start a good foundation for good co-parenting
- The process is confidential whereas trial is a public proceeding
People decide to divorce in Oakland for many different reasons. Despite the reason for the divorce couples still need to make decisions as they separate their lives. They need to make decisions regarding their children and the division of their property. These are very difficult and important decisions that must be made during a difficult and emotional time. That is why mediation can be beneficial. Experienced attorneys understand mediations and may be able to guide one through the divorce process.