Relocation Petitions And Dispute Resolution

At Christy, Keith & Donnell Family Law Group, P.C., we represent parties in California proceedings when one parent petitions to relocate with the children or in cases where one parent has already relocated without permission from the court. California state law requires the custodial parent to file a “move-away petition” if he or she wishes to move. If relocation impacts the parenting time schedule no matter where the custodial parent plans to relocate, whether to a new city, out of state or to another country, a move-away petition is required.

While courts do not have the ability to restrict the right of an individual to move, the court does have the discretion to modify the custody or visitation arrangement if it determines that it is in the child’s best interests to do so. Before granting a custody relocation petition, the court will take into consideration a variety of factors. It is important, in this regard, to be represented by a qualified family law attorney who is familiar with the local courts and factors that will be considered.

Talk To One Of Our Attorneys

At Christy, Keith & Donnell Family Law Group, P.C., our attorneys have years of significant combined family law experience especially with relocation cases. We recognize the sensitive and personal nature of every family law case, and we handle all issues with the highest degree of understanding, compassion and professionalism.

We represent families facing children’s legal issues throughout the Bay Area . Call our Oakland office at 510-617-0479 . You can also contact us by email to request a return message to schedule a consultation.